Conscious of the Government’s need for additional funds in its COVID-19 response, according to a Bureau of Customs official, the bureau conducts intensive checks on all items before they are released to the market.
The Bureau of Customs (BOC) has seized at least ₱12-billion worth of smuggled items in 10 months and said to have surpassed the total amount collected in 2020.
“First half of 2021, umaabot sa ₱10 bilyon. In fact, sa latest po na ito… nalampasan na po namin ang figures namin last year (Based on our latest statistics, we surpassed the figures we had last year),” Customs assistant commissioner Vincent Maronilla said on Saturday, 09 October, during a press briefing.
The BOC had claimed to have seized ₱10.6 billion last year based on the 997 operations they conducted.
Maronilla said they were able to collect ₱1 billion in September alone, the highest in its history.
“Our collection last month reached over ₱1 billion, which is the result of the system implemented by the current BOC leadership and tougher measures in different ports,” the BOC spokesman said.
The bureau is headed by retired general Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero.
Maronilla added that the Customs officials are very much conscious about the Government’s need for additional funds in its COVID-19 response. (JD/The MiNT)