The Metro Manila Council (MMC) has passed a resolution encouraging Metro Manila local government units to establish ordinances or adopt resolutions barring entry to public and private cemeteries, memorial parks, and columbaria from October 29 to November 2 to prevent mass gatherings and additional Covid-19 transmission.
MANILA — According to MMC chair Benjamin Abalos Jr, the decision to restrict access to cemeteries and similar locations is an adaptation of a resolution passed last year that closed cemeteries across the metropolis for at least one week.
“Filipinos can still physically visit the graves of their departed loved ones earlier than October 29 or later than November 2, subject to the prescribed 30 percent venue capacity,” Abalos said.
“Face masks, face shields, and the observance of physical distancing will also be required,” he added.
Also under MMDA Resolution No. 21-22, “the conduct of wakes, necrological services, funerals, interment, cremation and inurnment during this five-day period will be governed by the prescribed guidelines by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID).”
Because of a projected decrease in the number of Covid-19 active cases, the MMC will enforce shortened curfew hours in the National Capital Region (NCR) beginning 13 October from 12:00 midnight to 4:00 A.M.
“Everything is going down. The number of Covid-19 cases are declining as well as the reproduction rate, according to DOH data and University of the Philippines OCTA Research Group. In light of the recent developments particularly the steady decrease of active cases, the curfew hours being presently implemented in the NCR under Alert Level 4 has to be adjusted,” the MMDA chair said.
The current curfew hour is from 10:00 P.M. to 4:00 in the morning. (TRC/The MiNT)
Featured image: The Sunken Cemetery in Camiguin Island, one of the diving destinations in the Philippines. /Credit: Nikka Lakwatsera Vollstädt